With the help of volunteers like yourself, Border Angels leaves dozens of gallon jugs of water in the desert along high-traffic migrant paths. Why? Following 1994, when the US government implemented its most inhumane border enforcement policies ever, more than 11,000 sons and daughters, sisters and brothers, husbands and wives have died. Their main cause of death? Dehydration.
WHAT TO BRING?
- 1 or 2 gallon plastic jugs of water to place in the desert.
- Backpack with the items listed below.
- Plenty of water for yourself to drink, at least 2 liters/0.5 gallon.
- Sports drink, or electrolyte powder or jellies for energy.
- Snack eg. energy bars, sandwich, trail mix etc.
- If you need a ride, bring $5 for your driver to help cover gas.
- IMPORTANT: Bring your I.D./Drivers Licence, DACA volunteers must bring their work authorization card as we pass through a border checkpoint.
WHAT TO WEAR?
- Sturdy, closed toed, shoes or boots
- Long pants to prevent scrapes/cuts from rocks, branches and cactuses.
- Sunscreen, a hat and long sleeves if you burn easily.
- Optional: Sunglasses, lip balm, bandana/scarf/towel to wipe away sweat, tissues.
*Water Drops and all other volunteer events are closed indefinitely due to COVID-19 and are currently being conducted only by highly experienced volunteers and team members. Please subscribe to our newsletter to receive weekly updates, or contact email@example.com for more information on Water Drops.*